Thursday, September 4, 2014

Day 6. Thursday Sept 4.


Wandsworth to Trinity Square.

Distance: 12 km
Time: 30 mins.
Speed: 24 km/ hr.
Distance so far: 727 km.
AVR: 105 b/ min.

Weather: Warm and sunny all day. No rain. Slight east wind but of no significance.

Today was a short day so no need for an early start. Really enjoyed that extra hour os so in bed. Breakfast was relaxing with two tasty boiled eggs.
I then had alook at my pedals that had been giving me a bit of grief over the last few days....the cleat wouldn’t engage. In spite of spending much time trying to rectify matters, I finally found the offending part which involved a spring being dislodged. The only solution was new pedals. That wouldn’t be a problem; I had procured the same within 10 mins. Where else, but on High St, Wandsworth.
It took no time to fit the pedals (and new cleats) and shortly after noon I bade farewell to Irene and Justin's place.

I was leaving on the south bank of the Thames and my destination was downstream on the other (north side) down at Tower Bridge.
This was just a 12 km spin and most of it was serviced by those blue cycling lanes. At this time of the day I had it all to myself, but at morning rush-hour I believe those same cycle lanes are manic. I had a clear passage with not a bip from a motorist (or a wrong turn).
I passed by Battersea Power Station which is being gutted and refurbished.
It was at Vauxhall Bridge that I crossed the Thames and turned right and cycled right into Parliament Square. 
I tarried here for a while (Big Ben was striking one o’clock). naturally plenty of tourists about.
Then off I go down the Embankment with London’s Eye across the water. Along here I met a S Walsh and Son truck coming the other way. I wasn’t fast enough to whip out the camera but I gave the driver a great hearty wave. He looked  amazed but I hope he reports it back to Head Office.
Shortly after 1pm I pulled up to Trinity Square and was signed onto site by Charles. I had really enjoyed the spin down through London.
A quick change (no shower) and three of us had a bite of lunch with the thousands from the financial district in nearby pub.
Trinity Square was the former headquarters of the Port of London Authority (PLA). One of the first meetings of the UN took place here. With the movement of the docks out to Tilbury from Canary Wharf this building became vacant and is now being redeveloped as a hotel and apartments.

I spent the afternoon on a guided tour of the complete complex with Charles, Richard and Matt. They explained the input of O Dwyer Steel into the construction. Some construction!


Up on top the roof is beginning to take shape and from there we had a bird’s eye view of the centre of London. just beneath us was the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. Behind us soared those new skyscrapers known as the Gherkin, the Shard, the Cheese Grater and the Walkie-talkie.
As we walked about I was flabbergasted by the immensity of the project and the task facing a Project Management team. And in the middle of it all Dundrum was proudly holding the whole structure up in position. I felt proud of it and the input of the lads, naturally.
I also met up with some of the lads going on the London to Paris cycle. Collected the special top and other paperwork. We’ll all (13) meet up at 7.15 in the morning for the off. I don’t know what the nature of that send-off will be. I’m looking forward to it and thrilled that Richard is part of the team.



Tonight I’m in a hotel right beside Tower Bridge....if I could open the window I could touch it. Just before dinner it lifted to let a tall-ship pass upstream. Nothing but tourists about at this hour.

Thank God for a lovely day.

1 comment:

  1. Not a Tipp flag in sight on the building. How come ? Just emailed some stuff to you.
    Keep 'em turnin'
    Eddie

    ReplyDelete