Monday, September 1, 2014

Day 3: Pembroke Dock to Abergavenny

Monday Sept 1.
Distance: 164 km (That counts as a Century...over 100 miles)
Time: 8 hrs 20 mins.
Speed: 19.6 km/ hr.
Distance so far: 453 km.
AHR:114 b/ min
Feet. Limbed today: 4161 ft.

Weather today: Had rained during the night but stopped by the time I left. Remained dull and heavily overcast till 10.30. Very sunny and warm from mid afternoon on. Wind coming in from my left all day and was of no assistance at all.
Last night I was given priority when boarding Irish Ferries in Rosslare and passed up by all the cars. I was glad that I had booked a cabin and gladly availed of the hot shower. Lovely after a long day. Didn't get much sleep but I was rested when the alarm announced that we were passing Milford Haven just after midnight and would be docking soon. Again I had priority disembarking but was shocked to see a steady fall of rain in the darkness outside.
I made for the departures terminal with a view to resting there till first light. The lady at the coffee dock told me they close at 2am but she (and the lady in the ticket office) arranged for me to get a pass to rest up in the truck drivers lounge till daylight. It was lovely there...like a double portacabin, heat, dry, TV, coffee machine, slot machines etc. Only one driver there with me. I rested and slept periodically till 7 am.
I pulled out at 7.15 onto the quiet streets of Pembroke Dock. This was once British Naval Dockyard but was decommissioned in 1926. Still there were a few buildings around from that period.
I really appreciate those who gave me words of encouragement for this trip. I had messages from some from the US and from the Australia cycle. Really appreciated those messages from the members of Tipp Wheelers. The club now has well over 100 active members and cater for all levels and all ambitions. Whether you just want to tip along right up competing in races or triathlons....this is the place for you. Many other messages from family and friends.
The first 50 km were very hilly some climbs of well over 2 km long and hitting over 6%. But at least the surface was excellent and I had my own little cycle-path by the edge. Along the newer surface there were an enormous amount of black slugs attempting to crawl across. I’d say very few made it the whole way across.
At St Clears the roads from Pembroke and Fishguard came together funnelling into the M4. So a much greater volume of traffic. But the hills had a separate climbing lane; but I wasn’t encouraged with signs like “Climbing Lane for the next 2 miles”.
I had morning break in Carmarthen; a place where our family had a bad camping experience years ago. The centre of the town was bustling and looking prosperous. So all is forgiven.
Most of today's serious climbing came in the 0 to 50 km stretch and in the 100 to 120 km stretch.
Today is the longest day by far of this trip and I’m relieved to have it behind me. I definitely didn't look forward to it as rain fell early this morning. In fact the 3 days so far have all been well over the 115 km/day average of this trip.
The beauty of cycling is that you can stop wherever you wish....no need for a pull- off area. I stopped in a lovely scenic spot over the river and in the shade for my energy boost.
Today I cycled through 4 counties- Pembrokshire, Carmartenshire, Powys and into Monmothshire. I don’t know if they constitute a ’top-table’ in any particular activity.

The last 60 km passed through the Brecon Beacons National Park with the Beacons (Pen-y-fent in particular) showing its sharp edge on my right had side for miles. Also the villages of Bwelch and Crickhowel showed all the signs of attention being paid to their appearance.
Coming into Abergavenny I passed the house where I stayed on a cycle I did 40 years ago from London to Fishguard and on that occasion I paid £2 for the B&B. Times have really changed.
Going down for a bite to eat this evening I passed a restored 14th Century Tithe Barn by the church. The town was quite and eating places had very few patrons to indicate their quality. Still, I suitably replenished the body for tomorrow.

Thank God for the health and for the energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment