Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Day 4. Tue Sept 2.


Abergavenny to Lambourne


Distance:  147 km
Time: 7 hrs 10 mins.
Speed: 20.7 km/ hr
Distance so far: 600 km.
AHR: 116 b/ min
Feet climbed today: 3762 ft.

Weather: sunny and warm all day. Wind....calm.

Left my B&B in Abergavenny at 8.45 with short sleeves and decided to stick with the A40 as far as Monmouth. It turned out to be a wise decision as climbs were a minimum and I breezed along during those early kilometres tipping 30 km/ hr.
Within an hour I was in Monmouth and took a bit of a detour through the town. It has a historic town gate built in 1270 on a bridge ( the only surviving one in Britain) which had been used as a toll house, a jail and a dwelling house over the years.
There were other restored buildings on every street and a town park showing the onset of autumn.
In Monmouth, I left the A40, crossed the Wye and headed for the Forest of Dean.



This involved a strong climb with many twists and turns and I shared the road with quite a number of sand/gravel trucks. It was a nice peaceful cycle through the forest although it had its share of ups and downs.
Just before leaving this area I passed through Cinderford, a town with a coal mining history. It is at own built on the side of a hill and the main thoroughfare (a long one) went from the lowest to the highest point.
Once back down on the lower ground by the Severn, I progressed nicely to Gloucester. 
Here I lost a few kms in the city centre passing by many restored and reconstructed warehouses, but all with different uses now.
Soon I picked up the A417 which I had reckoned would bring me straight on by Swindon towards Lambourne. But first it had to climb to the higher ground of the Cotswolds. Such a climb was announced by “Slow climbing lorries for 2 miles”. This climb averaged out at about 6% and with a build-up of traffic because of a truck mishap I had to dismount for a while. At the top there was a magnificent aerial view of Gloucester beneath, but my scenic sensibilities had been dulled by the constant effort to gain higher ground.
Once on top I moved along smoothly well over my average speed for the day but it was with the constant din of traffic. The A417 (and A419) is a virtual motorway except for the blue signs. It became wearisome after a time although I felt safe inside the white line.
My lunch break was at one of their service stops (no shops along the way) after 94 km. I had an appetite by then, I assure you.
After passing Cirencester and Swindon, I pulled off for the final 20 km approach to Lambourne. I was so relieved with the absence of the traffic noise, although I could hear it in the distance. I was back on country roads again with hedges closing in around me. But the hills hadn’t gone away. Just after Wanborough I faced into a very steep buy thankfully short hill (Callus Hill). At this stage I was moving along (forward and up and down) within earshot of the M4. I was sure glad that I wasn’t on it.
Today I crossed over from Wales to England. I miss the Welsh language on the signposts now. I enjoyed noting the words in Welsh that somehow similar to words in Irish. Today’s route passed from Monmouthshire, through Gloucestershire, into Wiltshire and now just on Berkshire.
Finally, signposts for Lambourne appeared. Everything around here is horses or horse related. The village itself is quiet and it was difficult to find someone to give directions. 
I had the address and shortly I had landed outside David’s door to be greeted by David and Tommy the dog.
Was glad to have arrived at destination and later, David, Rebecca and I had a glorious meal in the Plough at Eastbury capped of with an Irish Coffee. What a way to end a day.

Thank God for the health and for the energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment