Sunday, August 31, 2014

Day 2.


 Tipperary to Rosslare.

Distance: 146km.
Time: 6hrs 32 mins.
Speed: 22.3 km/hr
Distance so far:  289 km.
AHR: 131 b/min
Feet gained: 3441 ft.

Weather today: Beautiful sunny start and late afternoon. Bit a cloudy in between.No rain. Gentle wind from the right as far as Ballyhack ferry.Very supportive tailwind in Wexford...I just knew that would happen!

Felt strange for the few hours before leaving home this morning. I’ve never cycled from home on any of the other long cycles; they involved a flight or a long drive.
And all those early kms were on familiar territory, just like a normal Sunday cycle except for the 32 lbs in the panniers behind.
To lift the bike is a task but to cycle along is much easier. You forget about them...except when you meet a rise of ground.

Clonmel was very quiet as I passed through the West Gate.
All along houses were decked out in blue and gold for next Sunday’s final. Some had made great effort.
And as I passed along beneath Slievenamon I hoped that we’d be giving it plenty of ’Alone,all alone’ for the next few weeks.

Of course, once I crossed into Kilkenny it was the same story with the buntings and flags. Even their flowers are black and amber. Come to think of it...my two days of cycling have covered the Toptable of hurling (Clare, Limerick, Tipperary,Kilkenny, Waterford and Wexford) I don’t think I have left out any of the super-powers there!
As I approached Waterford the road became busier and the city square in the city was beginning to buzz. I stopped for a bite of lunch here to recharge the system.

Another 12 km brought me to the Passage-Ballyhack ferry and a welcome into the Model County.
From Arthurstown all the way to Waddingstown I cycled along the Duncannon Line, a straight military road constructed to service Duncannon Fort. It was straight, but not comparable to the Nullarbor. Most of the feet gained today happened along here; but all the feet gained were given back to me and I enjoyed every one of them.

For a period I carried a passenger as a ladybird landed on the brake lever and joined me for the spin.
In Baldwinstown I dropped into a pub to check on the score in Dublin v Donegal. Nobody there watching it but the owner and his dog (This is hurling country). I got the last 10 mins in Culletons of Kilrane. Great cheers there when Donegal won. Very little sympathy for the Dubs. I had my dinner of vegetable soup and pasta in Culletons and then dropped down to the harbour in plenty of time for the ferry to Pembroke.
I’m glad of the few hours rest at this stage. Time to get a few hours sleep and be ready for tomorrow; another long day.

Thanks God for the health and for the energy

1 comment:

  1. Capall Fir, Dick! Seachain na mótars móra i dTír na nGall!

    ReplyDelete