Thursday, September 11, 2014

Day. 12. Sept 11.


Gerardmer (Fr) to Freiburg (Ger)

Distance: 103 km
Time:5 hr 20 min.
Speed: 18.2 km/hr
Distance so far:
AHR: 103 b/min
Feet climbed today: 2258 ft.
Punctures so far: 1

Weather: Cool at the start; colder at the top; very cold on the descent. Warm and sunny afternoon at 22deg. Slight headwind.

Leaving Gerardmer this morning there were many art pieces and structures relating to the Tour. Out ahead there was cloud and mist high up. 

After 6 km the climb started into the trees. First a 4 km climb at an average of 7% on a quiet road up as far as La Roche du Diable (3600 ft) with its stone arch. A few other souls (motorists) were also ther enjoying the view.

What a view. I could have stayed there much much longer. To right and left were lovely vistas. To the right was Longmer which was at the start of the climb. I didn’t really struggle on that climb once I wasn’t trying to stay with somebody.
Leaving that spot, I still had a 3km pull at 3%. Felt so much easier. Passing the 1000 m altitude mark and it was getting colder and breezier by the minute.
Finally the top arrived at Col de la Schlucht ( 3700 ft) with its ski-lift station now laid up for the off-season. Some lovely hotels in mountain style up at this point.
Came across a group of walkers parking up and arranging details before setting out and ski runs sans snow. At this stage I had put on an extra layer for the descent. Visibility wasn’t the clearest but at least I could stop anywhere I wished...no need for a pull-off.
At the start two signs caught my attention; one stating that I was now moving from Lorraine into Alsace. The other one was more pleasing - 5% descent for the next 13 km.
The road down again ran through trees and some fine views appeared. Pity that it wasn’t a clearer day. The road turned and twisted contouring around the slopes but always dropping steeply. Very little traffic in either direction.
With those extra brakes that I have it was possible to sit upright to enjoy the scenery while feathering the brakes continually. I didn’t to drop at too great a speed and I kept it at around 27 km/hr. Around me was too nice to have it pass in a blur. But hands and feet got viscously cold.
When I had descended into clear surroundings I found myself in Vallee de Munster. How about that? Further down was the town of Munster which I arrived in still freezing.
Saw plenty of tourists about and buildings and railings were all decorated uniquely. Also some interesting street furniture on the musical theme.

While I was stopped on Munster I noticed that my carry rack was wobbly. On further inspection I saw that it was broken; had snapped down near the hub so all weight was coming down on one side. I reckon that it happened on the descent where there were a few patches of rough surface. Either way something had to be done - either repair or a new one.
Luckily, I was in a town but I didn't see any bike shops around. All touristy shops in the centre where I was. Finally asked the local postman on his rounds didn’t speak English but pointed me in a direction. Soon located the family bike/motorbike shop. Only the son had some English. They saw the problem; didn’t have any carry racks that would suit and couldn’t weld as it was made of aluminium.
Finally we came on a solution with a piece of tubing obtained from a broken bike. In minutes the father had machined and drilled the piece and fitted it all back together. It feels as solid as ever. I was luck where it happened. I had lost an hour but would have been worse if the broken part had stuck into the spokes. And he didn’t charge me too much.
After Munster, I was back on flat land (no more jolting of the rack) and also grapes plentiful. Alsace produces nice white wine.
Nearing Colmar after I had gone through a roundabout I entered onto a lovely new road with a wide shoulder. I suspected something, went back a few hundred yards and spotters these signs I took it as another no-cyclists road and made my way into Colmar by a parallel road (the old original road through many villages)
Colmar was quiet for the long lunch hour and I also had my lunch there in a pizzeria. I didn’t have to wait 2 hours for service and then 3 minutes to eat up. It was actually reversed which suited me grand as I was also charging the camera batteries. (The cold  on the mountain had discharged them quicker than usual.)
Another totally flat 20 km brought me to the frontier and the Rhine. (Not my writing on the road). First over the canal with its working barges and then over the river itself. The barges moved into the locks at fast walking pace with only inches to spare.
Road signs now were different as I set out on B31. Soon I turned off this onto minor roads for my final approach to Freiburg. I was out in open quiet countryside and all went well with my cue-sheet till I came on roadworks and a detour. That threw me out and also road signs weren’t as frequent as back in France. It all resulted that I came into Freiburg from a different angle and my directions to locate the accommodation were useless.
Asked a few people to point out my location on the map and soon I pulled into my premises, rather like student accommodation. But grand for a tired body.
For my meal I legged it into the centre (20 mins) to dine high-class in McDonalds that is located in the historic city gate.
Not your typical McDonald architecture. My mission was to eat where our Sinead worked for a summer in her student days. Never thought that I’d complete that circle. Is ait an mac an saol.

Thank God for the health and for the energy.


No comments:

Post a Comment