Monday, September 22, 2014

EPILOGUE

Mon and Tue.
Well, I got through a day (Mon) without being on the bike. Tough, but I did it.
Monday morning was spent trying to procure a box for the bike’s return. With all the bicycles around (since Freiburg) I assumed that bicycle shops would appear frequently. At home, seeing a few bikes outside a shop means it’s a bike shop. Not here. There are bikes parked up outside every shop. Often when I located one bike shop, they couldn’t tell me of any other such shops in the locality.
In a non-bike shop, I got directions to Vienna’s biggest sports shop over in the south-east of the city. It was a refreshing walk but I worried if they’d have a box. Level 1 suggested I check with Service Desk on Level 0. Level 0 suggested I check with Service Desk on Level 1. Things weren’t looking good. Eventually, I met a gentleman from the workshop area. “I’ll check” says he. I kept my fingers tightly crossed, and out he comes with a choice of two boxes. I metaphorically hugged him.
Luckily the Underground was at low capacity as I made my way home. At stations, people looked at me pitying yer man having to lug that enormous load around.......not realising it was totally empty.

Within a half-hour,I had the bike stripped and packed for the road home.
At present, I’m just waiting for the shuttle for the airport.

So, another adventure comes to a close. I have been so fortunate. Just 1 day of rain out of 23. No injuries or ailments. Some fabulous scenery and dropped in on a few celebrations. And over 1100 hits on this blog. I enjoyed writing it, hope you enjoyed reading it.

So, what’s next?

Slan agus beannacht.

Thank God for the health and the energy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I have been away from base again so I missed the past couple of days. Congrats on "mission accomplished". Well done and more power to you.

    I think Antarctica has to be next !!!!!

    ReplyDelete